portraits of Quincy









I received a blog request for color photos of Quince! 

Some quick backstory though, since you asked. Quincy came about via a high school biology teacher and closet herpetologist (hey, Mr. Herrick!) and was a graduation gift to me from my one and only brother, Doug. That was in 1992, the year I graduated from Mills College. Quince was but a little chopstick of orange delight then, so tiny that I could hold her in the palm of my hand and had to feed her baby doll pinkie newborn mice.  Photos of Quincy at that stage must exist somewhere- I'm going to have to dig into my archives to find them though, so patience, dear readers.

She is named after the "coroner of the stars" Quincy, M.D., that crazy 70s television drama starring Jack Klugman, which has an excellent theme song, by the way. Rumor has it that the tv show "Quincy" was actually modeled after the real-life Japanese coroner, Thomas Noguchi.  Noguchi has penned several memoirs about his life in the forensic sciences, and also appeared as himself in the classic high school shocker, "Faces of Death"!


No comments: